I am so excited to be doing a four-part vlog series over the next month. It’s called HOW THE HECK DO I FIX THIS?, and it’ll be all about my revision process. Let me know what you do for revisions (or if you are revising along, let me know how it is going)! The schedule will be:
You can watch the first video in the installment here:
In it, I cover the first four steps in revising your manuscript: giving yourself some space, compilation of the pretty words, read-through for big picture issues (and nothing else!), and dance party because YOU JUST READ A BOOK THAT YOU WROTE AND YOU ARE GOING TO REVISE THE HELL OUT OF IT UNTIL IT IS A GLORIOUS MASTERPIECE.
And, as promised, I’ve compiled a TON of links for each installment so that you can hopefully learn as much as possible and–if my methods don’t seem like a good fit for you–find some new revision ideas that will make your manuscript the best it can be.
- Time and Space—Creating a Long Distance Relationship with Your Manuscript by Kristin Halbrook: http://www.yahighway.com/2011/09/time-and-space-creating-long-distance.html
- How to Kick Your Characters Out of the Car by Michelle Schusterman: http://www.yahighway.com/2011/06/how-to-kick-your-characters-out-of-car.html
- Revision Won’t Kill You (Probably) by Delilah Dawson: http://www.delilahpaints.blogspot.com/2012/07/truth-about-revising.html
- Revisions vs. Rewrites by Michelle Schusterman: http://www.yahighway.com/2010/12/revisions-vs-rewrites.html
- Why Starting Over on a WiP Isn’t Exactly a Bad Thing by Amy Lukavics: http://www.yahighway.com/2012/02/why-starting-over-on-wip-isnt-exactly.html
- Questions to Ask Yourself Before a Revision by Kendra Levin: http://ramblingsofawannabescribe.blogspot.com/2010/08/questions-to-ask-yourself-before.html
You can find Part 2 Here.